Thursday, October 14, 2010

I'm the better person.........

I am pretty sure that when someone declares themselves to "be the better person" to the person they are trying to convince it usually means that they are at fault.  It's also usually the woman who claims she is a great parent and doesn't have to worry about her kid because she has it so covered as a "great parent".  Parenting is hard and we have to continually work at being better people, parents, and spouses if we want to succeed at any of those things.  I hear both "I'm the better person", and "I'm a good mom" a lot from the biological mom of 3 of my kids.  Usually with the underlying meaning (because she enjoys belittling others exspecially me), are you are a terriable person and mother.  My neighbor's daughter and her kids are staying with her right now.  She reminds me a lot of the b-mom.  Her daughter and mine had a little kid fight that in this case was her daughter's fault.  She stomped over to my house and tried to pick fight with me over a typical kid fight.  Which wasn't anything.  I asked her why she was trying to fight a 6 year old fight (her daughter is 6).  She then went into how she is the better person and a good mom.  It's actually pretty funny since she just barely stopped trying to give her daughter up for adoption to her mom.  After I told her to just get off my property and to not bother me anymore I could actually see her stomping around white trash style on the phone waiving her hands in the air in her driveway.  Then when our other neighbor came home she ran right over and started telling her about it.  I have a great adult relationship with all my neighbors so I am not worried they will hate me like in junior high.  But it was comical to see an adult act like she was still in junior high.  The B-mom likes to thrust her chest and wave her hands around a lot as well.  People like that belong on Jerry Springer.  It's their poor kids that suffer from their crazy parents.  We all do a little damage to our kids why make it worse?  So before declaring yourself to the other person, maybe we should think about what actually makes us the better person, or better mom.  Besides depending on your kids age and personality if you ask them what kind of parent you are they will either say you are the worst or the best mom ever.  My younger kids still think I am the best mom ever.  I enjoy that even though it's not entirely true. LOL  I can keep trying and maybe when I am old and gray and on death's door that might actually be true.  But for now I will love everytime I pick my daughter K up from school and she runs towards me excittedly yelling mommy, mommy, mommy! 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jamie! Happy to see you've entered the blogging world. our family has a blog at www.nateashleybarnumfamily.blogspot.com It's a fun way to keep up with everything.

    Parents like the biological mom of your girls and that neighbors daughter just make me shake my head and wonder how they can possibly justify their behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jamie...I only have one child..no stepchildren, but the stories I hear from my sister-- she's got 5 kids of her own, and a stepson...are CRAZY It's sad... because in listening to her, if her stepson's mother would put as much energy as she does in being mean to my sister, or making up lies, or trying to prove that she is indeed a better parent than my sister-- she would be a lot happier, and a lot more productive in life. Good luck, lady. I don't envy you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I'm so glad I've found your blog, and I thoroughly intend to stalk you now.

    ReplyDelete